Monday, October 14, 2013

Diversity

This week in class we talked about the three keys of diversity. These three things are Culture, Class, and Ethnicity/race. The biggest factor is Culture. As we talked in class I noticed how big of an effect Culture has on people. Most people believe culture came from where you lived. As this can be true there are some flaws in that. As a kid growing up around the army environment I moved around a lot therefore being exposed to many different cultures. Because I didn't live in one place longer then three years my culture kinda became what my family made it. It didn't depend on where we lived like it would for most. It was more of a blend of how my mom and dad grew up. Then again isn't that true for most families? I mean yeah a lot of people live in the same place their whole life but I think their culture is more specific to their family. The place they live can influence some of what they believe and how they act but over all how they live is based directly upon how the parents raised the kids. Back to what I was saying before, growing up in the army lifestyle, we mostly did things our own way. Of course we had developed our own traditions and well being but then there was another fact of what was socially acceptable in the place we we're stationed or lived. For example at one point I lived in the south and there they are very disciplined in manners such as "yes sir" or "no ma'am". Yet in the north, I've used such speech and they take it completely different. This is were culture of region is noticed. Also going along with the different regions you can factor in Ethnicity and/or Race. Even though a lot of the racial fights have been long over there are still some people who have opinions. Its interesting seeing certain people, depending on the location, react when they see my parents together. My mom is white and my dad is half black. For some reason this still surprises or disgust people. Because of how I was brought up, I don't see a problem of issue with them, nor can I understand how other people do. I've noticed though that even though the world has changed people still make opinions on what the "norm" is of what ever color you were born as. This I find very silly. There are so many social errors that are made because people take one look and place you into a certain category or class. Where we all learned this and where it came from is my over all question. Who decided that it was okay to judge people on what that look like, where their from, or even how they live there life. How I see it is we all have a similar purpose, we came to earth to get a body, learn, and then continue on to the spirit world. So in the end it doesn't really matter how much money you make or if your not the same color as the person next to you, now does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment